Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Karroubi electoral headquarters set up -Not Afraidof Rafsanjani

IranMania.com - Iran�s Karroubi electoral headquarters set up: "Iran’s Karroubi electoral headquarters set up

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - ©2005 IranMania.com
LONDON, Jan 26 (IranMania) – The Secretary General of Iran’s Association of the Combatant Clerics, Mehdi Karroubi’s electoral headquarters officially began work on Tuesday, Iran’s Shargh Newspaper reported.

Commenting on his recent trip to the religious city of Qom, 120km southwest of Tehran apparently to win the support of the religious authorities there, Karroubi noted: “I am a cleric and it’s very natural if I pay visits to the city of Qom every now and then. I am not begging for support and if so far anyone has supported me, I take it as a favor and nothing more.”

On his rivalry with former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, the ex-parliament speaker said: “I have entered the scene decisively and only to win and I am not afraid of anyone.”

He said that his would-be government’s power will be rooted in people’s support for him adding: “I am going to seriously counter unilateral moves of certain officials and groups.”"